Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!

As the author of a Halloween book for children and as a school teacher of the same, I am often asked, "What is your favorite holiday."

The answer depends on when I am asked.  Before Halloween--say, in the Summer--it's always Halloween.  Call it the Ray Bradbury in me.

But I think the truth is even more simple than that: I love Halloween because it is the first in what has always felt to me like the start of the Holidays.  I see those holidays as continuing until Easter in the spring.  Then there's the long stretch of summer, running toward Ray Bradbury's birthday in August, followed by mine in September, and then ... and then ...

Having said all that, I think I like Christmas the best.  It's family and friends reuniting again.  It's happy memories (could be sad or painful memories too, but I'll keep my eyes pointed upward whenever I can).  Even if those reunions are short, they are so precious to me.

And of course it is the time for Christians of all kinds to gather together in remembrance of one of the greatest advents of all time.  I am so grateful for and desperately in need of my Savior, He who was born outside somewhere (a stable?  a cave?) because there was no room in the inn.

(Cue Charlie Brown Christmas memories: Linus quoting scripture on a stage.)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

And I do mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment